Nepal Telecommunication Authority has recently announced that all the Nepalese customer should register their smartphones IMEI number to avoid it from getting blocked. Although NTA has not given any time frame for the deadline of the registration, it is wise to do it as soon as possible. Follow this guide to Register IMEI Number Online in Nepal.
Many in Nepal import mobile phones, formally or informally. For the latter, these mobile phones are generally for friends and family, as the same model phones are generally more expensive in Nepal. Government is planning to totally ban unregistered mobiles on all Nepali networks.
The registration of your smartphone’s IMEI number not only will help you track your lost phone or during the emergency case, it also helps the government to stabilize the illegal supply of grey products in Nepal.
What is an IMEI number?
An IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number is basically a 15-digit number which acts as a unique identifier for a mobile phone. Since no two devices can have the same IMEI, it is a very useful tool for tracking lost or stolen cell phones. You can find it on the silver sticker on the back of your phone, under the battery pack or on the box your phone came in.
Advantages of IMEI Number registration
- Online registration makes mobile companies or authorized ones to do it easily and without any hassle.
- Individuals can register for their phones easily.
- Individuals can also track or block their phones through IMEI, ESN or MEID of the lost phones.
- Grey market phones will go down, which encourages more official channels.
- Mobile payments will be secure with the identification database of each owner.
How to Register IMEI Number Online in Nepal?
1. Identify your IMEI number by dialling *#06# and copy it.
2. Visit NTA’s Official Website and click on the ‘Know Your Device’ button and check whether your IMEI number is registered or not.
Step 3: Enter your IMEI number and click on ‘Submit’ button to check your registration status.
NOTE: If your IMEI number is registered then it’s OK. If not then proceed next steps to register your IMEI number.
Step 4: Visit the website and click on the ‘Sign up’ button and select ‘Individual Application’ to enter the online form.
Step 5: Fill the form duly and click on ‘Submit’ button.
Information’s and Documents Required:
- Brand name
- Model Number
- IMEI/ ESN / MEID Number
- Mobile Number
- Applicant Name
- Applicant Address
- ID Number
- Document (Citizenship or ID card or passport )